The purpose of the SEARCH function is to find one or many articles in the news that already has been published.
You can start a query with a click on the SEARCH button. Your search will be executed on our whole archive, but limited to the boundaries of your contract. This could be 1 week, 3 months or back until the start of the digital era at Belga.
Contrary to filter, a search query will not get live updates until you click on search again.
From each and every search box at the top bar of our different services, you will automatically arrive at our advanced search module. This module exists of 3 filter methods which you can combine:
This is where you choose the feed(s) where you search in. You can combine all News Feeds produced as a wire by Belga. You can recognise these feeds that can be combined by the alignment of the checkboxes.
As soon as you would like to search in another service (for example Agenda or Today In History), the module will de-select other services. Due to the specific character of these services it is not possible to combine these services into 1 single search query.
Here you are able to reduce your set of results even more to your needs, to find what you are looking for in a faster way.
The options are different, depending on the source. You will find various criteria to filter on. That is the reason why these checkboxes will return to their default value if you change the source.
At the options section, you will also find the language selector.
When nothing is selected, the system will assume you want to see everything.
Other options are:
- for News Feeds: desk (General, Economy, Politics, Sports)
- for Agencies: AFP, ANP, ATS, DPA, BELGA, EFE, KYODO, TASS
- for Belga Image: the source (BELGA, AFP) and theme (News, Sports, Entertainment, Archives, Creative, Globe reports, Portraits, Royals)
- for Press Releases: language (NL, FR, EN, DE) and the publisher
- for Agenda: region, category and coverage type (Text, Picture, Video). The coverage type means that Belga has opted to put this item on our editorial coverage agenda. Belga will produce coverage for this item in one or more ways: a text, a photo gallery or a video. Text W/R means “text with reserve”: Belga cannot guarantee a text in this case.
- for Today in History: region (Belgium, International) and category (General, Politics, Economy, Entertainment/LifeStyle, Sports, Death, Royals, LifeStyle/Entertainment, Birth, International, Science/Technology, Justice, Disaster/Accidents, Theme, Religion)
This option pane defines the period you are executing your search query in. By default, this will be set to the largest time frame available in your contract. By using the “from – to” selector, you can be even more date specific.
The search results are offered with pagination. Make use of this pagination to cruise faster through your results.